Monday, April 7, 2008

Every other day of the week is fine........

But whenever Monday comes you can find me crying all of the time. Lindsey bought me the Mamas and the Papas greatest hits a few years ago. It is a shame that Mama Cass was so in love with ham sandwiches but who doesn't enjoy a nice ham and cheese sandwich with mayo and tomato.

This weekend was a long one. Lindsey and I along with a few other adults took 17 teenagers to the annual Arkansas Youth Conference also known as AYC. We left town about 5 o'clock on Friday heading to the hotel. AYC didn't start until 8 so we had time to get checked in to our rooms and get settled in before walking over to the convention center.

Luckily Lindsey's mother saved us seats about halfway to the stage. Unluckily there were about 872 screaming teenage girls sitting behind me that felt it necessary to scream directly into my ear.

Why is it necessary to scream when someone with a microphone says anything? Seriously, if someone walks out on a stage and makes a comment about eating lunch at Church's fried chicken I don't get the urge to scream. I love Church's. They serve crinkled french fries and greasy fried chicken. Delicious fried apple pies topped off with some red pop mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. But I don't feel it is my duty to bust the eardrums of the handsome patron seated immediately in front of me. So why, girls, do you do this to me? Is it because I am wearing ear plugs? Did my wife secretly slip you a couple of dollars to torture me? I haven't been a teenage girl in a long time so this act confuses me.

We ate pizza Friday night and woke early on Saturday to do it all again, not eat pizza but the AYC portion. Scotty Pickington stayed at the same hotel that we did. Funny, I always thought that his name was Scotty Pippen. Jokes on me I guess. We ate breakfast at McDonalds then it was back to AYC.

The morning session started at 10 and lasted until 11:45. We ate lunch at the flying fish. I had a shrimp poboy and Lindsey had catfish. Then we walked around the farmers market. I tried to purchase some pickled beets but Lindsey vetoed the transaction.

Back to AYC for the afternoon session. Unfortunately this turned into the never ending story. The kids where becoming restless and the sponsors were dropping like flies. Finally we left around 4:30. We had a good time and the kids enjoyed themselves. I wish the people in charge of AYC would ask my opinion on a few things. Next year let’s try a band that doesn’t play extremely loud music. How will you ever know if the kids like a classic country sound if you don’t give them the opportunity to hear it? Willie Nelson has a gospel album last time I checked! Some of you may complain that I left all the good details about our trip to AYC. Obviouly you didn't read the part about lunch Saturday. Just kidding. It was a good conference.

Lindsey was sick all day Sunday. Partially from a lack of sleep on Friday and partially from being with child.

Next Wednesday is the 16 week appointment. The 20 week appointment will be sometime in mid May. Hopefully we will get good reports at both. The 20 week appointment is the ultrasound to check and make sure things are going well. It also gives us a chance to find out the gender. Please remember us in your prayers. Thanks, or as our friends from the far east say "Tank yoo vely mut"

1 comment:

Jamie Ewing said...

Where do you come up with this stuff? You've always seemed like a shy, retiring fellow but, in reality, we've had a hidden Dave Barry in our midst.

Hilarious, as always. Keep it up.

And, of course, always praying for you, Lindsey and the bambino.